30 July 2012

In Between Stories | Short Documentary

In Between Stories is a short 20-min documentary that features four young artists from the African diaspora communities in Toronto, Canada. This film touches on issues including media representations of Africa, experiences of second-generation immigrant youth and the role of storytelling. As they navigate through the different narratives that make up their lives, they share what it means to be a young African in today's society.
As a Ghanaian-Canadian, I relate very much to the artists and to the stories that they tell. My compassion for Ghana and my continent has led me to be proactive by sharing stories to influence the generally negatively-biased narrative offered by the media. I also find myself in the middle of both countries in terms of identity. I appreciate how this has made me open-minded, observant and aware as a result of it.

What do you think about this? Are there any other ways that Africans in the diaspora can change the narrative? Let me know in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...